For over 50 years, Albion Minerals has been the leading global supplier of chelated minerals. Albion has been manufacturing amino acid nutritional chelates used in mineral supplements and food fortification for organic mineral nutrition.
Many manufacturers claim to be making mineral amino acid chelates, but there are many different ways to make a chelated mineral. The amino acid piece that links to the mineral can vary significantly. Amino acids are the building blocks for proteins which is why they can be so important for our bodies. But amino acids are also the building blocks for all forms of life including plants too.
Did you know that many amino acids chelates on the market today are made from soy-based amino acids? Many companies will just call these chelates ‘plant-based chelates’ or ‘plant-based amino acids’, and not mention they are from soy. Soy products, if not specifically stated as being GMO-free are GMO plant sources. Here are a few things that make Albion’s TRAACS® range of mineral chelates stand out:
- We use a specific amino acid called glycine to create our chelated minerals
- Only Albion mineral amino acid chelates (bisglycinate chelates) are Kosher and Halal
- Only Albion’s chelates are hypoallergenic
- Albion mineral amino acid chelates have been chemically validated, and consequently, are the only known chelates that meet the NNFA definition.
- Virtually all published research on amino acid chelates has been done using Albion’s bisglycinate chelates.
No other mineral amino acid chelate manufacturer can make these claims. Years of extensive research, clinical analysis, third-party critiques, and careful laboratory manufacturing enable Albion® Minerals to produce fully reacted and highly effective chelates. In fact, Albion® Minerals is the only chelate manufacturer that can scientifically prove its molecular structure.
Minimum Chelation Requirements
The minimum requirements, or conditions, for the creation of a chelate, are as follows in general descriptions. If any of these conditions are not met, chelation will not occur, regardless of what a manufacturer claims.
- The ligand (glycine amino acid) must form a ring with the mineral as the closing member of the ring.
- It must be sterically possible to chelate the mineral. This has to do with the mineral structure itself. It must be able to share certain electrons in order to chelate. For instance, some companies claim to have a boron or selenium chelate, it is impossible to chelate these minerals.
- The quantity of the ligand to the metal must be at least 1 to 1 preferably at a 2:1 ratio as indicated by the bisglycinate, bis meaning two and glycinate meaning reacted glycine so bisglycinate means two reacted glycine molecules to one mineral molecule.
Requirements for a Nutritionally Functional Chelate
The previously mentioned criteria are the minimum requirements for chelation to occur, but chelation does not guarantee mineral absorption and there are some other qualifications that are necessary for a nutritionally functional chelate, that is, a chelate that can be absorbed and metabolized safely by the body. A mineral must be chelated in a specific manner for maximum absorption and metabolism to occur. A nutritionally functional chelate must also do the following:
- The chelate must be small in size, expressed as a low molecular weight, this very specific size is a scientific measure called Daltons and the size is 800 Daltons or smaller.
- The chelate must be electrically neutral. Molecules carry electric charges either positive, negative or neutral. Creating a neutrally charged chelate is difficult to do but important. Like magnets, positive and negative charges attract. Food in the stomach carries a positive or negative charge and when it comes in contact with an oppositely charged chelate they stick together and are ultimately flushed out of the body together.
Summary and Conclusion
The requirements and conditions that a molecule must meet in order to be considered a nutritionally functional mineral amino acid chelate are very explicit. A nutritionally functional mineral amino acid chelate is a mineral form that has the following benefits:
- Great absorption potential
- Great tolerability
- Low toxicity
- More freedom from dietary interference
- Less effect on the senses, when added to food products
- Stability when combined with other vitamins in a capsule or tablet
- Stable through the stomach’s harsh environment
Albion Human Nutrition manufactures the only nutritionally functional mineral amino acid chelates backed by published clinical research that supports all the benefits listed above.
Contact us today to find out how our solutions could support you.
- Zinc: Do something Good for your Health and BeautyIn today’s fast-paced world, where stress and environmental factors continually challenge our well-being, it’s essential to nurture both our inner … Read more
- Cultivating Lifelong Wellness: Embracing the Journey of Longevity (Active Aging)It’s a fitting moment to reflect on the journey we’re all a part of – the journey towards a life … Read more
- Nurturing Holistic Wellness: The Harmony of Bone, Heart, Joint, and MindCultivate holistic wellness with us and embrace the journey of longevity with the harmony of bone, heart, joint, and mind … Read more
- Elevate exercise with VitaShure® and OptiMSM®Are you looking to take your exercise and sports performance to the next level? Incorporating OptiMSM® and VitaShure® can help … Read more
- Harnessing the Power of Plant-Based Powdered Blends In our quest for optimal health and vitality, incorporating nutrient-rich foods into our daily routine is essential. One innovative and … Read more
- Choline and Iron for Kids’ Health: The Superheroes of NutritionAttention to all superhero parents! When it comes to fueling your little ones’ superpowers it’s crucial to ensure they get … Read more