Nutrients Are Essential for Children
New data shows that the prevalence of nutrient deficiencies among children is alarmingly high – and possibly higher than we previously thought.
- Immune health
- Cognitive function
Nutrient Deficiency Research
Using biomarker data, new research from the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) examined the prevalence of nutrient deficiencies across 24 different nationally representative datasets from 22 different countries around the globe, including a mix of low, middle, and high-income countries.
The team reported that:
- Globally, 56% of preschool-aged children (6-59 months) had a deficiency of at least one of three key nutrients, namely iron, zinc, or vitamin A.
- Higher-income countries were not immune to this: 45% of children in high-income countries had a nutrient deficiency.
- In total, the researchers estimate that a staggering 372 million preschool-aged children around the globe have a nutrient deficiency.
Experts now believe that older data on micronutrient deficiencies were likely “a major underestimate”.
Experts say that fortification and supplementation are effective tools to combat this issue. We have solutions that could help.
Partner with us to help face this important public health challenge!
- Zinc: Do something Good for your Health and BeautyIn today’s fast-paced world, where stress and environmental factors continually challenge our well-being, it’s essential to nurture both our inner … Read more
- Cultivating Lifelong Wellness: Embracing the Journey of Longevity (Active Aging)It’s a fitting moment to reflect on the journey we’re all a part of – the journey towards a life … Read more
- Nurturing Holistic Wellness: The Harmony of Bone, Heart, Joint, and MindCultivate holistic wellness with us and embrace the journey of longevity with the harmony of bone, heart, joint, and mind … Read more